IT’S MAC AND CHEESE DAY! One of the classic comfort foods earns a place of honor on July 14th. The golden goodness of cheese, an amazing side dish whilst also standing on its own as a main dish! We have given you lucky readers our signature Mac ‘N’ Cheese recipe! Experiment with different cheeses or try it with toppings. It’s a celebration of a food that’s not only convenient but is versatile and delicious, too!
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- Heat up a large pan with water and boil the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan you boiled it in and set aside. You can mix in a little butter to keep the pasta from sticking together.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon paprika.
- Stir constantly for two to three minutes.
- Once everything has melted together, add the milk very slowly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens, for about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted. You’ll use the last cup of cheese for topping at the end.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir gently until all of the pasta is coated.
- Add half the pasta to a baking dish. Sprinkle on half the cheese. Add the rest of the pasta and add on the rest of the cheese, then sprinkle lightly with the paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mac and cheese is bubbling and browning on top.
- Serve, and top with individual toppings you fancy such as bacon, basil or breadcrumbs. Even better, roll up bite-sized bits in bread crumbs and deep fry for mouthwatering appetizers!